Sunday, July 21, 2013

Rant: Life of a nail polish maniac

Hello~

Here's my rant of the month. haha hopefully there will be less rants in the future. 

I had dinner out with a family friends. Their daughter, who is a little older than me, and her little girl cousins looked at my nails and complimented them, so I was happy. :D But then, they kept on saying how nail polish is so uncomfortable to wear, which I understand, because at first, I could not stand to wear nail polish because it felt like it was smothering my nail bed. We nail polish ppl know, however, that once you wear nail polish more often, you get used to the feeling, and besides, having cute and pretty nails are worth it! haha Anyways, they kept on saying things that sort of made me feel uncomfortable, like "I can't imagine wearing nail polish all the time!" and "Wow I would never spend more than 10 minutes on a manicure." and "It's so uncomfortable to wear nail polish! My nails can't breathe, and it's super bad for your lungs to smell the fumes!" I was just like ermmmmmm... Do you think I don't know the cons of nail polish? Funny thing was that the older girl had nail polish on herself for the first time (she's doesn't like nail polish, as you can see above...) with cute Studio Ghibli inspired nails that her friend painted for her. (side note: I was surprised because she never ever wears any nail polish!) I was happy for her because then she could maybe stop her habit of biting her nails! The thing is, everybody that said nail polish was uncomfortable would compliment and fawn over her nails, and then see my nails, and continue complaining about the bad aspects of doing your nails. I mean, I know it's not a big deal, but how am I supposed to respond? It was just so awkward after they said things like "Oh nail polish is so uncomfortable! You must be very obsessed to be able to do your nails like that!" Then they came over to my house, looked at all my nail polish in my room, and they were just appalled. They were like "I would never buy that much nail polish." I'm like ok. The thing is, all the moms and girls and teens KEPT on saying bad things about nail polish. 
This is where things get personal: The older girl that I was talking about? My parents CONSTANTLY compare me to her. She's going to a great Ivy League school, her dream job is very impressive, she was very successful in high school and took many AP classes, she got very high SAT scores, she has TONS of guy friends. The thing is, I'm just glad that she achieved so much in her life so far. The above things that I mentioned are all what my mom tells me, implying and reminding me that I am (and I actually am) worse than her in those areas; but I don't really think about it too much. I know that everyone is different. I'm not as smart as her, or as fun as her, but I still have a family and friends who like me for who I am, and I'm completely fine with that. Of course, I do like it when people compliment and congratulate me, but I don't beg for it. It's just that sometimes I get very emotional and sensitive... T_T If I had to choose which one of the seven deadly sins I would be, it would definitely be envy. I am sooo crazy jealous of people sometimes, which is one of my bad qualities. I hate being jealous, but I always am. D: (ehehe that's why I sort of felt not as good when everybody kept on complimenting her nails and how adorable they were, and then when they see my nails and know the effort I put into them, they just dismiss them, saying all these bad aspects about nail polish. hey, I'm not begging for compliments, but I can do without the bashing!)

I'll stop here. If you guys in the story read this, I don't mean any harm! I'm just ranting haha. I still love you guys. :D And I know that you guys didn't mean anything when you said those things. I'm just thinking too much and assuming.. -.-

End of Story: For me at least, the pros that come with pretty nail polish override the "cons" of nail polish. I love painting my nails; it's one of my most favorite hobbies, and I don't regret painting my nails or buying any of my nail polish. I know some people might say it's not one of the "best" hobbies one could have, but I don't care, because you can't really "compare" hobbies. Painting your nails can't be compared to reading books or playing an instrument or learning a language. They're all different types, for different people.

I will try hard and continue to post in this blog about my nail polishing adventures! Without nail polish, I wouldn't have been able to have as much confidence and self-esteem as I do today! (I'm still very shy haha)

I don't hold any grudges, so probably within a week, I'm most likely going to forget this even happened! ^^ I'm looking forward to better days and better experiences!

'Til next time~

No comments:

Post a Comment