Saturday, August 24, 2013

Watermelon Nail Art Tutorial!

Hello~

Today I have watermelon nails!! :D Summer will be ending soon, so that means out with the bright colors and in with fall colors! I am going to miss summer so much.. This nail design is very simple yet cute and fun. I got a few compliments too! :D People tell me that I must have so much time to do my nails.. the thing is that I don't.. I did these at 12am on a Sunday night instead of going to bed.. I'm a nocturnal nail polish painter. ^_^;;

Anywhoo, this is my first "tutorial" haha.. I hope you guys enjoy!

Woohoo fruity nails!

Step 1: After applying a clear base coat, paint the watermelon slice diagonally across your nail with a pink or red color. You can freehand it like me or use tape to make the edge clean. (ooh the polish looks so squishy :3)

It should look something like this.. I recommend using an opaque color so you don't have to do multiple coats. (My pink was kinda sheer...) It's ok if the polish gets on the sides of your nails cause you can always erase it afterwards. :D

Step 2: Once the pink is dry, paint a white tip across your nails. You can freehand it, or use tape. Remember, if you're going to use tape, make sure that the base pink color is completely dry!! I always mess up with tape because I rush and end up peeling the polish with the tape.. T_T

Step 3: Paint the black seeds and a thinner layer of light green across the tips. You can use a dotting tool for the black seeds, but I just used a toothpick. I painted the seeds while the white tip was drying, and then painted the green tips while the black seeds were drying. Saves time! :D

Step 4: Use a darker green and paint stripes on the light green once it is dry! This is for the watermelon rind (?). 

Step 5: Apply a top coat and voila! Watermelon nails! These are very cute and colorful for summer. 

L-R: China Glaze Gaga for Green, Sephora by OPI Is it Payday Yet?, Wet n Wild A Blank Canvas, Orly Butterflies, Essie Licorice

All of these polishes were opaque creams, except for the pink. Opaque polishes are very useful for nail art because you don't have to use multiple coats and still get a nice, solid color.
Tips: Don't make the white and light green tips too thick, or else it will take forever to dry.. Also apply the topcoat carefully so you don't drag the black polish.. It's all trial and error. :P

Ahh I can't wait until next year's summer already! I do appreciate every season's nail trends, but I have to say that spring and summer nail trends are so pretty with pastels and bright colors. I'll try to post my birthday presents soon! I got polishes and beauty stuffs and nail art supplies. :D

'Til next time!

4 comments: